A passport is the strongest identification document for a citizen of a country. Hence, it is very vital to keep it protected and in a safe place. However, if, for some reason, you lose your passport, then keep in mind that you don’t have to panic at all. Just follow the below-mentioned steps, and you will have your new passport without any issues.
- The first and foremost thing you need to do is to file an FIR with a copy of the passport at the nearby police station as soon as you lose your passport.
- In case you missed the previous step, book an appointment with the nearest Regional Passport Office(RPO) and receive a copy while filing the FIR
- You can also go for an online application by reapplying on the official “Passport Seva” website. Log in to the registered ID. option for the “Tatkal” tab, which will provide you with the passport within 14 days.
- Following are the documents that will be required for the re-issuing of your passport-
- Original police report
- Current address proof
- Date of birth proof
- Affidavit stating how and where the passport got lost (Annexure ‘F’)
- Self-attested photocopy of the front and the back side of your passport
- To schedule the payment and appointment, click on the “Pay and Schedule Appointment” link on the “View Saved/ Submitted Application” screen
- Pay a processing fee with an additional amount of ₹1,500
- Check via the Passport Seva Kendra (PSK ) or RPO to get the nearby location and the date and time of a suitable appointment.
- Print out the application reference number (ARN) or the appointment number confirmed via SMS.
This was helpful, thank you!